Poetry Fantasy Weekend

	Hats off to Erma Cook and her Big Band of Merry Volunteers in
winding up yet another highly successful Poetry Fantasy Flight Weekend in
Poetry, Texas -- about 50 miles or so southeast of Dallas.

	The weather climbed up into the 90's on both Saturday and Sunday,
but that didn't seem to deter the riders, who poured onto the grounds of the
hosting ranch in a giant wave.  Over 50 participated in the 50-miler on
Saturday and more than 90 competed in the 25-miler.  Vets Gayle Conway, Dane
Frazer, and Dennis Seymour really worked for their supper.

	Although the crowd was big and the weather was hot, most of the
riders appeared to be tired but happy at the finish.  ...Probably because
they knew that after they got the horse cleaned up and put up they could
either choose to jump in the pool or collapse under a cool shower.  This
ranch couldn't have been a better site for a ride, and Erma worked hard to
pull it all together.  It must've been a major hassle trying to coordinate
with the various local cattle ranchers and the many volunteers she needed to
man the gates and perform the myriad other duties that needed to be handled.
Most of you who have been ride managers (at least the ladies!) know that
planning a wedding is easier!

	Not only did Erma and her crew manage to pull off a super endurance
ride Saturday, they charged up their batteries again overnight and staged
the Second Poetry Fantasy Flight 20-Mile Ride & Tie on Sunday morning, and
did an absolutely terrific job.  My only disappointment was in the number of
teams participating.  I seem to recall there were 12 last year when the
course was only 12 miles long, but only five participated this year.  Tsk,
tsk.  Geez, guys, when the challenge increases the troops pull back?  You
mean out of almost 150 riders that were at the site Saturday, only ten were
tuff enuff to show some "true endurance?"  Forget all that limited distance
whining.  RIDE & TIE is true endurance!!!  You feel like you are finally one
with your horse when you're running and sweating along beside him -- or in
back of him -- or in front of him.  ...When your heart rate goes up as you
take that hill on foot and you feel if you don't get to the top soon it's
going to burst right through your chest.  ...When your own two feet are
clocking along on the trail and you finally hit your pace and your breath
comes deep and strong;  your mind wanders and you imagine what it must've
been like before the Native Americans had horses ... when they had to cover
ground... miles and miles in a day.  When you finally finish, covered with
sweat and trail dust, you look at your noble horse -- who has gone the
entire distance for you in the heat and in the wilting humidity -- and you
ask yourself, "am *I* fit to continue?  How much further can this body of
mine go?"  The perspective that you gain is amazing, and you know, when it's
all over, that you HAVE to do it again...  When I'm an old woman (older than
I am now, that is), I hope to be still riding the rides and running the
trails.  I want people so say of me, "there she goes ... strong of horse,
strong of body."  I like the sound of that.

	I encourage more Ride Managers -- especially in the eastern and
southern half of these United States -- to incorporate Ride & Tie into their
endurance ride events.  Talk to Erma -- not only did she make the Fantasy
come true this past weekend, she actually participated in her own Ride & Tie
and was an intense and focused competitor -- and she claims she's not even a
runner!  Hats off as well to local vet Val Jaffe, who has my deep admiration
for going the distance only 16 weeks after the birth of her first baby --
whatta woman.  I encourage all of you who are mechanically sound to give
Ride & Tie a try.  If you don't do any running now, remember -- a journey
begins with a single step.  Thanks, "Saddle Bob" Byrnes, for being my
partner -- it was a BLAST!

Lynda Corry ("are weee almost the-e-e-re ye-e-et??" <*whi-i-i-ine*>)
	& Baskhari
lcorry@velaw.com