Heart Rate

I would like to thank everyone for the information given.

It is clear to me that there is no clear answer. It is kind of like
determining if you are better going in second gear at 2500 rpm's or
going to third at 1900 rpm's. The  answer on what is better is
determined on if the motor is lugging or over revving. This is again
dependent on the motor.

So if I understand correctly then  the gait chosen should not be
entirely base on heart rate.

For longevity which gait is least likely to do damage  to the horse bone
and soft tissue structure if all other things are equal.

For my seasoned campaigner, I don't think I will change the way we do
things but I have 4 young horses that I hopefully will get in condition
to do endurance(over the course of the next few years). I want to do
what is right for them and to do this I need the tools to determine
which gait I use. They are all saddlebreds or Saddlebred crosses and the
six year old that I started conditioning this year initially picked the
canter but the more I ride him the more he chooses to trot.

Anyway thanks for the info. I better run as I am taking off for a race
here in Saskatchewan. It is supposed to freeze tonight and we are
staying in a tent. So I envy the heat and humidity you southerners
complain about

Jerald