Re: Heart Rate

Truman: To some extent you are correct; <<<One final point at a canter the
horse may actually take in more oxygen
> in its lungs than when it trots.  So it order to supply the oxygen to
> the muscles at the trot it has to raise it heart rate.>>>

This intake of oxygen is a function of the stride also. The heart and lungs
tend to work in rhythm with the stride. (pace is a word with so many
different meanings is why I did not use it) Trot is a faster stride i.e.
more movements of a leg per minute and the heart and lungs use that rhythm
to assist in functioning. Thus a faster heart beat. Canter with fewer
strides (but longer) elicits a slower heart beat. Remember also, it is not
just the number of beats that supplies the oxygen to the body but the
volume of the beat (stroke). \

Hard to explain exactly as I am not fully conversant with the physiological
terms.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID

----------
> From: Truman Prevatt <truman.prevatt@netsrq.com>
> To: Ridecamp@endurance.net
> Cc: Jerald Thiessen <thiesj@tdbank.ca>
> Subject: Re: Heart Rate
> Date: Thursday, September 24, 1998 6:20 PM
>
> We have been trying to deal with this hurricane down here so I haven't
> had time to address Bob's post.  I think heart rate has been pretty much
> tied to the oxygen requirement which is directly related to the energy
> requirement.  If the same energy is used at a trot and a center, I
> cannot see how stride length enters into the equation.
>
> Any physical system - and a biological is first and formost a physical
> system - obeys the "law of least action".  The law of least action may
> really be the only true physical law - the rest being manafestations of
> this.  This basically states that any physical system will come to a
> state where the minimal energy is required.  This has been given the
> term resonance.
>
> If a horse gallops at 15 mph at 120 and trots at 15 mph at 150, then he
> will try to gallop. I believe that Lew Hollander even covers this in his
> book under the term of resonance riding.
>
> I you trot while conditioning then you are not properly conditioning the
> muscle groups necessary for cantering.  So if you canter in the ride
> then you surly have more trouble coming to parameters.  I try to ride
> like I condition and condition like I ride.
>
> That is why I mix it up and do a little bit of everything in riding and
> conditioning.
>
> One final point at a canter the horse may actually take in more oxygen
> in its lungs than when it trots.  So it order to supply the oxygen to
> the muscles at the trot it has to raise it heart rate.
>
> Truman
>

> Jerald Thiessen wrote:
> >
> > Thank you for the input;
> > I guess my question is not clear . I was trying to establish which gait
is the most
> > efficient and or why the heart rate is faster at a trot than canter.
Bob Morris'
> > answer regarding the heart rate in relation to rate of the stride is
the key I think
> > I am looking for.
> >
> > So next question then is if the heart rate is based on the stride and
not on the the
> > oxygen requirement, then would the horse possibly not be using all the
oxygen and
> > there for going at  an aerobic burn at the trot ,while at the same
speed at the
> > canter the horse may be anaerobic and there for explaining the higher
heart rate at
> > the trot while maintaining  the ability to pulse down quickly or
quicker than if he
> > was cantered???
> >
> > I am trying to make sense of this variance and I appreciate all the
help.

> > Jerald
> >
> > Truman Prevatt wrote:
> >
> > > I change gaits often.  This allows the use of different muscle groups
in
> > > different ways - in both the horse and rider.  I know lots of people
say
> > > "you should pick a pace and stay with it".  Well that is not for me,
> > > mix it up, trot, canter, gallop and walk.  I let the terrain, the
> > > climate conditions and how things are going - including the HRM, how
> > > feel, the phase of the moon and the sun spot activity determine what
> > > gait I do when.
> > >
> > > Works for me.
> > >
> > > Truman
> > >
> > > Jerald Thiessen wrote: