Re: Dandruff? White Hairs? Clacking?

Kate Denisar wrote:

> Anyway - I noticed this past weekend that Spanky's winter coat is starting to grow in.   Also - his old saddle sores start to reappear.  What's the verdict?  Should I start looking for a new saddle?

If the damage occurred in when the horse was devloping or in his winter coat, then those specific hair follicles will always grow out white.  The amount may diminish over time, but they will come out each fall with his coat.  I wouldn't worry if he isn't sore and there is no thickening or swelling.  Sounds likeold damage.

> Also - I noticed that there was a fine, flaky residue under his hair.  It brushed off easily, but should I be concerned?

Old dead skin!  Brush and curry is the best thing for this.  Bathing will dry the skin out more.  As long as he isn't irritated by the flaky skin, there shouldn't be any problems.

Linda Flemmer