Re: LD Rules

In a message dated 9/22/98 11:50:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Merryben@aol.com
writes:

<< The current fee in California is $3.00 or $3.50, I am not sure and everyone
 must pay it at any event, sanctioned by anyone or not....Of course, we don't
 pay the $1.00 to AERC at all...Maryben >>

The current fee for drug testing in California is $3.00 per starting horse in
any equine event.  This includes all shows, ride & tie, endurance, NATRC,
etc., etc.  This is a state mandated fee that CA ride managers have no control
over, nor does AERC.  Whether or not there is a state technician on the ride
site has no bearing on payment of the fee.  The ride manager pays anyway.
However, most of us add the $3.00 on to the entry fee, as the state claims the
"contestants wanted drug testing and the event manager shouldn't be paying the
fee, the contestants should."  One year, for Castle Rock and its affiliated
rides alone, we paid over $700 to the state.  The $1.00 AERC fee is paid in
all states but CA and AERC has random drug testing at rides throughout the
country.

BMc