LD debate

>So, how welcome does that make someone like me feel?  There must be others
>Our there in similar situations……BTW, I would not object to paying a
>non-member
>Fee to ride LD, but I'd rather be a member!  How do other real endurance
>riders feel?

I'll take the liberty of speaking for some others here.  I believe
all AERC 50 and 100 miler members want new folks to join and they
are happy to have them start as LD riders to learn the sport.  But
many old-timers remember when 25 miler (they weren't called LD then)
horses had a LOT more lameness problems - because a horse can be
fit cardiovascularlly to run 25 miles w/o having had enough work
to get its tendons/bones/ligaments et al. ready.  So these folks
are a bit worried about LD turning into a regular competition for
that reason -   sure running 50 miles is even tougher on the horses
legs, but the longer distance requires more training to sustain the
speed over the ride so the odds are better for the horse not going
too fast for its "leg shape".

The other issue that 50 and 100 milers have a concern about with LD is
the repeated request that LD miles should be counted with endurance
miles. Sue mentioned the fact that lower levels dominate most sports
ie. dressage and jumping, well I'm sure that those sports would laugh
at the notion of counting lower level tests or shorter height courses
together with the upper levels.  I think that the new programs to
recognize LD riders with their own awards and mileage programs are
good AND sufficient. Until the BOD takes some kind of action to
ensure that LD miles are not counted with endurance miles folks are
going to be a bit uncomfortable about the push to sign up LD members,
because they are worried that they might be outvoted on this issue
some time down the road.

I have a HUGE problem with expanding LD to cover 0-35 miles (Dont kid
anybody that a 36-49 mile LD would happen. How many 35 mile LDs are there?
If folks are ready to ride over 35 miles they are ready to step up
to 50) but I'm composing a letter to EN about it so I wont go into
it here.

Teresa