Steelshoes@aol.com: Cosequin Ride

O.K. Folks, REALLY this isn't from me.  Gosh seems like I've posted a way
too much, but remember Dawn's & this one were just me forwarding them for
 friends who get the digest and couldn't post their comments.  This is
from Ivey Daughtridge, a North Carolina rider.

  Hey Ivey, that was me that everybody thought was so negative, guess I
need to get my high school English teacher to proof my posts for unclear
pronoun reference, etc.  One more time, I wondered how the IMAGE of the
ride could be improved.  The other sidelines were just offshoots from
that question. Also, I think the heading "Cosequin/anybody care?" Got
their goat.  I didn't mean "who cares?" in a sarcastic way.  I meant,
"Does anybody care?"  Just wondering why on the evening of the
competition, not one word had been posted on the subject.

I like the details of Jedi's purchase Ivey gives, and why Melissa went to
Natchez trace.  I guess I just have to stir something up to get you guys
to give out any info.  My gosh, we can't all have speech writers and talk
in totally noncommital language.    Now...Here's Ivey's post:

Dear Angie,
I have been catching up on my Ridecamp posts and noticed a quite negative
general commentary on the Cosequin Ride.  I just got back from the ride
and
wanted to make a few comments. I only subscribe to the digest and
evidentally
cannot make direct response to the different posts. I have tried several
times, but failed miserably. I finally gave up. You may  pass my comments
along if you want to.  Please excuse the misspellings. It is too time
consuming to correct them.

I just returned yesterday from competing in the 55.1 mile ride at the
Cosequin.  IThe ride used  many of the trails that are used at the Old
Dominion Ride. Yes, it was VERY HARD. I would have expected no less.
Also, it
was an FEI sanctioned ride. I had never been to an FEI ride and was a
little
amazed at the "red tape" and structure that is an intricale part of the
organization. But I know it is necessary because  the International
Selection
Committee  for the World Championship  uses these FEI rides to select
riders
and horses to attend and represent the USA. Everything is set up to be
absolutely fair and equal and totally professional.

A few things about the riders and horses.  The best were there. Lari
Shea,
Danielle, Mcafees, Wendy, Debbie;all the world class competitors. I heard
that
Melessa Crane was not there because whe needed a "fast" race to further
embelish her record as she is a candidate for the World.  She did not
"boycott" the race as was inferred. From the SE, I competed in the 55.1,
Joe
Edwards, Marylian H. , Betsy Reeves entered. Maybe one or two more. (I
wish
more southern Folks would come to the NE and get kidded about their
accents).
Lots of Canadians, two from Brazil, one from Aulstralia, many from the
far
east, etc. We had a great time. Even my ole none horse person husband
went and
mingled and crewed. We even carried the piano(remember Edgemount?) but
didn't
get a chance to play because we got there too late and missed the
Thursday
night party. I got pulled at 40 miles -got bogged down in a real bad
muddy
watering hole and Tony sored some muscles and came up lame. He is fine
now and
we will be at Biltmore next weekend.

I want to make some more comments. I personally  am definetely not
International material. But, I am glad there are others that can afford
to and
have the talent and horses to be world class.  I think it is very little
minded to criticize their efforts and show what appears to be jealousy
toward
these very serious international competetors. I am glad that they can
represent us in  International Competition. Lord knows, I can't do it and
most
folks can't.  The Northeast riders have been instrumental in the
formulation
of endurance world competion.  We need to recognize their efforts and
appreciate what they have done.  Also, they are responsible for
developing a
lot of the wonderful techniques and care that we all use in our back yard
local competions.

 A word about Jedi. Yes, he had a good record before Larry Kanavy bought
him.
And yes Nina must be credited for developing his potentional.  But, SHE
wanted
to sell him in order to buy a dressage horse and contacted the Kanavys.
Danielle and Val then have kept him in good shape and propelled him to
international status.  Why does that see offensive to so many? I tell
you, it
takes more than just  a good horse to be the best. It takes talent,
devotion
and total focus and fanatical attention to detail to develop a world
champion.

I am just a back yard , just for fun competitor, but I do not resent the
professionalism and dedication and SUCESS of those who pursue this sport
for
more than a t-shirt.  Don't forget, Wesly Crow  was one of the first to
sell a
horse to the Arabs and he was one of our Southern good ole boys from
Georgia.
I don't recall anyone criticizing him!!!  I would give my right leg to
get the
opportunity to develop a great horse and then sell him to someone who
might
make a world champion out of him!! Also, I could use the money. And don't
think that money and horse abuse are one and the same.

I hate to see an attitude of resentment develop amount the "fun  only "
endurance riders toward the more "professional" riders. I for one, hope
learn all I can from these serious riders and use the knowledge to make
my
horses preform better and be healthier. Also, I just want to have all the
fun
I can have.  A healthier horse equals a fun time for me.

Hope to see you at Biltmore. Fondly, Ivey

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]