Re: pace control

Hi Chelle -

I know exactly what you are going through.  I too started a 6 yr. mare
this season on LD & CTR rides & experienced very similar problems.
Don't have a "cure-all" solution, but can tell you how I am handling my
situation.

The recurring theme seems to be lack of attention or focus on my
requests (like she is saying, "Yeah, but they're leaving me or trotting,
or galloping").  Sooooo, I have gone back to the basics at a walk &
noticed that even there, she will get tense & want to jig downhill,
sometimes even on flat ground.  We don't have any other horses for me to
blame.  At that point, I continually ask for giving to the bit & walk,
when I get both, I release the rein (pressure).  Then I decided to put
more "gears" on her, again starting at the walk, giving her clear cues
with my seat that I want a slow walk (inevitably she ignores this so
then I go to the rein immediately releasing when she slows her feet).
This will help when you get jammed up amid other riders.  I have also
started this at the trot, eventually wanting a jog, working & extended
trot.  Will then go on to canter.

Giving to the bit is important to keep those muscles in the jaw, neck &
poll from bracing against you.  I follow John Lyons method & have found
what he said to be so true - When you experience a problem, chances are
you will find the problem in earlier stages of your training.  Example:
My mare wants to extend trot when I want working trot.  She is doing the
same thing at the walk, I just didn't notice.

Rode out with another horse yesterday & while she tried to jig here &
there, I was able to quietly put her behind the other horse & walk at a
slower pace with proper spacing.  Will continue in this fashion for as
long as it takes as the alternative will get us hurt.

Hope this is helpful.

Lori, Sky & Packy
AZ