blankets

Hi,

I figure that at this point I have spend enough money buying blankets to
qualify for some kind of PhD. For what it's worth...

Best
Waterproof/breathable Rain Sheet from Tack in the Box. (www.tackinthebox.com
<http://www.tackinthebox.com> ) - 1998

Really held out the El Nino driving rain this past winter for my pastured
horse. At times it rained so hard that my boots that I was wearing filled up
with water. This sheet worked. There is a draft/tail cover in the back and
it comes higher on the wither so the rain doesn't run down the shoulders.
Only complaint was that the front straps needed repair at the end of winter
after 3 months of use.

The ones that are waterproof and breathable are great because they help
cooling down and also not overheating the horse

Also rans:

Bucos waterproof sheet - breathable waterproof - Fall 1997

This held out ok but not as well as the one above. The liner somehow stayed
dry but the sheet itself was sopping., Also the water ran down the neck and
so the entire chest and shoulder area was wet. Youngster was able to wiggle
out of this blanket several times by some mysterious means - all closures
fastened but bunched up in the mud. Not sure that I can blame this on the
blanket:-)

Dover waterproof sheet - 1996-97 model

This was not waterproof. I put this new sheet on the horse, checked him
later and he was wet. Of course he had gotten mud and God knows what else on
the sheet and so I didn't have the nerve to return. Last year I sprayed it
with waterproof stuff and crossed my fingers a lot. It was ok if I lined it
with another water resistant model

Big D nylon sheet - 1995

This is advertised as water resistant and once sprayed with waterproofing
and lined with another blanket it was ok. Used with a N.Z. and checked every
day I was pleased with it. Straps are still good after a couple of years of
use.

New Zealands - various years  - some bought used

Supposed to be water resistant. They do ok if treated every year and covered
with something else when it is really raining. Heavy. Would not buy them now
as I think that synthetics are better. No matter who they are on they rub
the coat. I also think that they are not as windproof as the nylons

Miller's thinsulate stable blanket - 1990

I loved this blanket when I first got it. Used in 32-minus 32 weather.  Held
reasonably well in rain. Dried well when wet. Didn't rub anything. It was
stolen. (Of Course)

Overall I think that layering works best. I live in Northern CA - almost
never freezes - so buying the waterproof sheets rather than blankets works
best for me. I think that unless I lived somewhere really, really cold they
would still work better than buying the all-in-one blanket and sheet. I like
the nylon linings as they don't rub  and dry quickly if they get wet. That
fake wool Fleece  is tough as it is takes time to dry and picks up mud and
shavings.

I am still experimenting with the underneath layers. I only use these when
it is under 40 or a cold rain. Right now I am using:

1. Big D wool lined water resistant blankets  - ok but rubs shoulders
2. Polar Fleece - I bought one of those fleece liners from State line. Works
ok if not pouring rain. These work really well as coolers.
3. N.Z.s
 I am looking for a better solution on the underneath layers.
 I know some people use a regular people blanket  as a cooler. Way cheaper
than a horse one.
Good luck and let me know what you figure out

Stasia