FL Hunting/Sun State Horse Council post/trails

From: Jean Wonser
Email: cpfjean@bellsouth.net

I was asked to contact the Gov. to protest a hunting request in Kissimmee Preserve FL.

Being raised in a Game Management family and also Hunters I have to say there are many valid reasons to have a hunting season on lands where we also ride.

For one thing deer have no predators left in most of Florida except loose dogs (which are a terrible problem too) and they become pests in themselves.  So a short deer season will thin them out and allow the environment to balance.

So when groups ask us to just condemn something it really is important to be a lot more specific.  It probably gains riders more positive image to cooperate with other groups and share public lands than to gain an obstructionist image, opposed to all uses of THEIR trails.

There is a Florida Horse Bulletin page if you get interested;<cyberchute.com/flhorse/>

We have a tough time finding dates for FL rides due to hunting but somehow it gets done, and the deer stay in check.

Jean Wonser
Gilchrist County FL
AERC 5352