response to LD Rule Change -Long & intense!

I have a policy of not responding to letters or posts that are not
signed, but I am going to respond to this post.

tobytrot@bigfoot.com wrote
	<I think it is necessary to give some thought to the philosophy behind
the BOD's decision to propose these changes.  Years ago, AERC had a
Limited Distance program.  Participation was voluntary and one of the
rules was that no prizes could be given for placing--these were training
rides for completion only.  The program was only moderately popular; more
in some regions than in others.  Then came a time when AERC was in
serious need of an influx of funds, and fast.  The solution that BOD came
up with was the mandatory sanctioning of all LD Rides (defined as 25
miles and up).  The nonmember charge was also instituted at this time,
with LD specifically exempt.  In order to make the program more
"saleable" to the membership, the rule against placing was dropped,
changing the rides from "completion" to "races".  Various
rationalizations were given to explain the need for mandatory
sanctioning, but the truth was AERC desperately needed the money raised
by this program.>

my response:
From 1972 until 1983 LD did not exist.  There were Novice Rides and they
ran just like others distances, ie:  First horse to finish won!!....and
prizes were given thru Top Ten, completion, and BC..all determined by how
the Ride Manager wished to run the "25 miler"...I got hooked in this
sport on my very first ride, a 25 miler in May of 1983 which I won racing
in and won BC..I remember at the finish my horse's pulse was well in
excess of 100 and an hour later, when judging for BC he was at 52.  The
Limited Distance Mileage Program began February 26, 1984 and 41 LDM rides
were sanctioned in 1984.  In 1985 117 LDM Rides were sanctioned.
The intent was for them to be mandatory, but the wording of the rule had
some loopholes, so some were and some were not sanctioned.   AERC was
recording the results of the rides, keeping records on who rode in the
rides, and providing the same basic services regardless of the distance
you rode, except the 50 milers and up (paid up members of AERC) were
underwriting the expenses of the LMD Program and its riders.  The current
LD Program was beefed up for two reasons,
1 )  AERC is keeping their records, the public views them as "AERC
Events" , even when they were not sanctioned by AERC (remember Catoosa?)
and if they are not sanctioned, then AERC has no way to control the
quality and fairness across the board, and 2) Yes, economics and good
business dictates that AERC should be compensated for keeping the
records, advertising (EN Calendar), and all the other benefits provided
by AERC.

tobytrot further wrote:
<......Rather than comply with a policy we opposed (a
policy that had nothing to do with fairness of competition, or the
welfare of horses), a significant number of Ride Managers opted to put on
LD rides of less than 25 miles, so as to fall outside the mandatory
sanctioning rule.  Their motivation for doing was  largely to keep LD
entry fees down; in the several years this has been in effect, these RMs
have not been inundated with riders clamoring for sanctioning.  Clearly,
then, the riders that these RMs are trying to serve, prefer lower entry
fees to sanctioning....>

My response:
The policy DOES have everything to do with fairness of competition,
fundamental quality of the rides, and MOST ESPECIALLY the welfare of
horses!  I believe many Ride Managers put on "fun" rides of 10 to 15
miles for the legitimate purpose of introducing endurance on a very
introductory, "preschool level", but I think some Ride Managers have
determined they can put on a "24 mile" fun ride, charge $35.00 to $45.00
and not pay a sanctioning fee nor a recording fee to AERC.  AERC offers a
National and now a Regional program for LD, LD has a National Sponsor,
and the LD Riders do want to be a part of AERC.  Endurance is on a trail
of growth, we are going to be getting much more Public Awareness from our
new national advertising campaign, membership programs, etc.  AERC is not
a "club", we are a national organization, and that requires a bigger more
mature view of ourselves.  AERC is inclusive, not "exclusive"!

tobytrot, again:
<.....This begs two questions: 1)with the mandatory sanctioning of first
LD
rides, and now pleasure rides, how far are we prepared to compromise the
original principles and ideals of the sport purely to generate
revenue?=20
If the aggressive campaign to recruit LD riders as AERC members is
successful, they will eventually constitute the majority, since more
people are capable of riding 25 (or 10) miles than 50.  At this point the
sport of  "endurance" (50 miles and up) will be controlled by people who
do not participate in it.  Is this what the Board has in mind, long
term?..>

From me:
This reflects a slow or no growth mentality.  The Bylaws vote will
determine what distances will be included as LD..all you need do is vote
and the majority will decide.  However, to fear that LD riders will take
over endurance....I don't belive this will happen.  Some will always ride
LD, that is what they enjoy and want, but most will end up riding 50's or
a combination of LD and 50's and some will gravitate to longer distances.
 What the Board has in mind is to be "inclusive an not exclusive", as
well as to insure that all rides are operated under the basics of
fairness, quality, and with the welfare interests of both horse and
rider.

once again, tobytrot:
<.......Randy Eiland, of all people, should remember from "leading the
charge
against the nonmember fee" that all of the people who vote are already
members.  It is seldom hard to get people to agree to somebody else
paying the bills!>

My answer:
I was proven wrong on the "non member fee", it has not ended up being a
nightmare of paperwork nor has it stopped anyone from entering a ride.  I
is either paid or the non member decides to join AERC.  Most folks have
an idea of what they are getting into when the enter an endurance ride,
or a LD ride..they have been conditioning their horse for the ride and
know the pure basics of what to expect...they just end up learning a lot
more at the ride because they are exposed to a large number of more
experienced endurance riders.  I will agree with you that it is not hard
to get people to agree to somebody else paying the bills, especially when
that somebody else is getting the same benefits as me.

Randy Eiland
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]