Re race against yourself

Hi to all,
I just want to add my 2 cent piece here.I ride for pleasure because I love
endurance,getting around riding diffrent trails meeting folks from all over
with the same interests as we have.This is important to me.I am also a
competitive rider but quite often take time out just to enjoy a
ride,normally with newcomers or juniors in tow.
I enjoy these rides more than when I am being competitive,this way I can
teach and tell others who are interested in the sport how to go about it
all,the juniors all love riding with me,me have great fun on these rides,we
swim our horses in dams,timeing ourselves though but the presure is off me
to do well ,which also makes a nice change.Then again when I ride alone I
can improve on my previous performances as well,riding against myself is
always good for me.
There is no other sport that lets me and my horse roam all over some of the
most scenic places in our country.There is also no other equine sport where
you the rider gets to know and understand your horse so thoughrely.I know
my endurance horses inside out,because we have to,this also makes it all
the more interesting.
It good for the horse to take time out on endurance rides as well I
think,my horses seem to know when I am being competitive,am sort of edgy
and very nervy,they love it when I am relaxed and there to enjoy myself.
Even though I do love being competitive,have won numerous BCs and have been
placed often in the top ten,never to the detrement of my horses though.
After all to finish is to win,whether one top tens it or comes in last we
have all done the same distance.
Another thing we may not all  agrree with our governing bodies standpoints
but they are there for a reason ,they are there for us the riders,imagine
if there was no AERC or ERASA(in South Africa) it would be absolute chaos.
Ok nuff said
Have a great day!!!!!!!!
Regards
kathy