Pleasure Riders

My girlfriend Debbie and I did our first LD ride (30 miles) a few years ago
and we didn't have a clue as to what was going on.  We did mosey along and
took our time being careful not to overdue our horses because she had a
young one and we both were not used to long rides.  When we came in a half
hour after the time frame the group recognized us as newbie riders and
treated us with a lot of praise and even gave us a prize for completing the
ride.  If we had gotten disqualified, I don't think either one of us would
have done it again.

What about time frames for the short rides?  A lot of "pleasure riders" who
are
being exposed to the sport in non-sanctioned distances DO NOT go fast.  They
may
take the entire day to mosey along and see how the ride is organized for the
LD
and Endurance.  (Trail marking, vet checks, feeling of riding actual,
measured
miles)  How would you like to greet a potential future endurance rider with,
"I'm
sorry, but you are overtime."?  Just a bit of a turn off.
Janet Baca