RE: Protest, AERC, rules and principles

-----Original Message-----
From:	Glenda R. Snodgrass [SMTP:grs@TheNetEffect.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, September 15, 1998 2:20 PM
To:	Steph Teeter
Cc:	'ridecamp@endurance.net'
Subject:	Re: Protest, AERC, rules and principles

 >> I have one question, however:  can the RMs now ban this horse from their
 >> rides on an individual basis (just not as a group function),

  Yes, they still have this right.

 >>   the protest
 >> was for the group banning, but the BOD expressed support for the principle
 >> of RMs making a decision to ban on an individual basis, it seems to me
 >> that the RMs can still ban this horse on a per-case basis.  Is this not
 >> so?

Yes this is true. There's a little more to it than just individual vs group - there
must be supporting 'cause' presented to the party, and there must be a
reasonable time frame involved. Hopefully when Rule 4 is discussed and
revised at the midyear AERC meeting, there will be no more questions about
proper procedures. I suspect there will always be questions about 'acceptable
situations' - too many different views of the world to prevent this  - but if adequate
guidelines and procedures are in place, then at least decisions can be made
on the real issue of 'cause' and all involved will have an opportunity to properly
defend their position.

Steph