Re: 1999 Rule Change Proposal

Thanks for the feedback, Heidi.

 I spoke with my husband abou the subject over lunch.  He was aghast
that AERC was getting into the "pleasure ride business", so to speak.
The organization is the American Endurance .....  We developed a club in
the Tidewater, VA area (Norfolk & surrounds) some years ago.  We went
from endurance riders + a few new folks to a LOT of pleasure riders who
wanted to learn CTR & endurance + a few endurance riders, to virtually
all pleasure riders.  The focus of the club changed dramatically (and
rightfully but sadly so - the majority ruled & that was pleasure
riders).  Would that happen to AERC?  The resources to track that many
folks can become overwhelming, even if there is more income from the few
who decide to join.  There will always be as many or more who try LD and
decide it isn't for them.

I like the idea (was it your ride, Heidi?) that allows the riders to
sign up for LD and pull at the mid point for a "pleasure" completion.
It solves the bigger problem without redefining what AERC stands for
through changes in the bylaws.  Perhaps that could be a simple rule
change (to officially allow such an occurrence, or to suggest it to ride
managers).  The "pleasure completion" would not be recorded against
their lifetime LD miles, but it would offer a sense of accomplishment.
Perhaps they'll be back to finish the next time.  (Remember DIMR? -
maybe a milder form is LDIMR   Limited Distance Induced Mental
Retardation)  Catch them while they're still groggy & sign them up for
the next ride while they're still in your clutches!!

Linda Flemmer