Re:Endurance Horse Prices

     I have a story on this subject of endurance horse prices. Fourteen
     years ago I purchased an 8 month old Arab colt for $400.  I trained
     him, put a lot of time into him and he turned out wonderful.  I did
     many competitive/endurance rides and many miles with him and he never
     got below a 3rd.  I got offered $10,000 for him once and turned it
     down without blinking an eye, you can't put a price on friendship.
     Three years ago I purchased a 5 yo Arab gelding that had been
     abandoned. I paid $2,000 for a horse that everybody in the barn where
     I bought him from was afraid of.  They said he was crazy. He was
     actually scared and didn't trust anybody because he was abused and had
     only been ridden 5 times and one of those times was 1/2 hour after he
     had been gelded.  I've spent 3 years training this horse, who by the
     way is the sweetest horse that I own and whom I have a special bond
     with. He's turned into one heck of a competive horse and next year
     when we do our first endurance ride I know he's going to do great.
     I've experienced both situations, a young inexpensive horse that
     nobody had messed up yet, and a more expensive horse that had been
     badly abused and neglected, and I wouldn't trade either of them for
     any amount of money.  Oh and by the way, I did some research on my
     gelding that cost me $2,000 and found out from the breeder that the
     owners before me who couldn't handle him paid $25,000 for him.  You
     can only imagine what the response from the breeder was when I told
     her that I was doing Competitive/Endurance riding with him!!  She told
     me his parents had been Top Ten Halter horses at both Scottsdale and
     the Nationals for a couple of years and that he had been a Regional
     Halter Champion out in the Midwest.  I told her hopefully he can add
     on an Endurance Championship onto his record....she wasn't amused.

     Kathie Duggan
     Duxbury, MA