Started too young?

Elizabeth,
Regarding the 5 yo you're considering buying:  It seems to me that if
you have this many questions about a horses background, it might be the
wisest move to give him a miss and keep on looking.  There are a good
many really nice horses out there with backgrounds that don't leave you
with all those questions.  What would you do with this horse if, indeed,
there were problems associated with his early start that precluded his
use as an endurance mount?  Anything can happen along the way with any
horse.  I would be inclined to want to start with a horse I felt had
been raised and started in a manner that I, myself, would have done.

Just my take on the situation....
anita