Re: Knee Surgery???

I would not be walking tonight without knee surgery.  But I have worked in the
personal injury/medical malpractice industry for about 30 years and I know all
of the good orthopedic surgeons [and all of the bad].  I had arthroscopic
surgery on my right knee last year because I just plain got tired of it
hurting all the time.  Six weeks later I did a 25 mile ride and tie.  Granted,
if you have seen my ride and tie article with the picture, you know for sure
that I am NOT a runner.  I am way overweight and over 50.  However, when I
broke my left knee [encapsulated fracture of the tibial plateau] so badly in
November, surgery was the ONLY option.  Although I must admit I do respect
conventional medicine.  I now have 5 bone grafts, a titanium plate and 10
stainless steel screws holding me together.  All three of the surgeons said it
was the worst break they had seen.  Scared me to death.  Also, when I got up
on crutches before I went to the hospital, I slipped on my hardwood floor and
fell and chipped a bone chip in the "good" knee.  The upshot of it is with
lots of physical therapy and Trilby's spa about 3 - 4 times a week, I can
hobble around without my cane and even ride some.  It may be late next year
but I will do a 50 again.  Right now, 4-6 miles at a fast walk are about all I
can handle.  However, tell your friend that the 3+ months in a wheelchair were
the low points of my life.  Not walking is not an option.  Find the best board
certified orthopedic surgeon who understands about "sports medicine" and do
what he says.   The first doctor saw a middle aged overweight person with a
bad break who will be lucky to walk straight.  My own doctor sees fthe same
middle aged overweight person with a bad break who does ride and tie [yeah ok
ride and walk] and also rides horses 50-100 miles.  There is a big difference.

Maryben Stover