horse's first overnight

I have a horse that was ready for an introductory over-night at a
competition site.
What worked out to be a low-stress introduction was to take him to drag
ride the 3rd day of a 3-day 80 CTR near me last wkend. He got to sleep
over the night before in an environment where
the horses were pretty relaxed at that point. I tacked up and warmed up
with everyone else in the AM, he watched about 40 horses start and then
we drag-rode the 20 miles and took down ribbons on some of the trail. We
both had a really good time, and I think he developed more self
confidence.
Deb LaBerge