Re: endurance horse prices

Indeed. And in addition, the sad irony is that show horses command higher
prices, even while considerably less is required of them. While I can take a
decent distance horse a turn him into a respectable arena or show horse, the
converse in rarely true. The horse who cists the owner $8000 or more, say, is
less likely to see the trail, let alone b dependable out there. Interestingly
enough, the show horses I see attempting to traverse the great open spaces are
wrecks by the time they get home. Of course both can - and should - be done
together but rarely are. So...while that show prospect (based too many times
on the sire's reputation) is sold for $5000 or better at 2 years old, the same
quality 2 year old destined for true athletic endeavor is luck indeed to
command $1000 or more. This is incomprehensible to me. Frankly show horses
(and we have them - they do both!) should be a dime a dozen while true
athletes of good breeding should command the higher prices. I would hate to
have that bargain horse show that he was no bargain - halfway down the road on
a 50 miler.
San