Re: Criollos as endurance horses

The one horse that did the entire ride across the Americas (Tierra del
Fuego to the North Slope of Alaska) was a registered Argentinian Criollo.

However, the deciding factor with regards to whether a horse could do this
ride or not was almost entirely a function of the ability to survive and
continue on sparse, inconsistent, and low octane feed.

From what I saw of him when he was with me was that he was a rugged little
pony that would pack along forever.  He was (kinda) gaited (not like a
Paso Fino is but...), easy to ride with.

He had a big heart and thought he was bigger than he was.

He difinitely had the abilit to endure.  I do not know, however, whether
he had what it takes to do endurance at anything like endurance ride
speeds.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  And he was, of course, a sample of one.  He was, however, a NEAT
horse and I would definitely consider one for a kids endurance pony.