conditoning rides and body surfing :-)

Everyone has days like today. the sun was shining ,a cool breeze, crops
off the fields and the scenery is perfect. It's Indian summer here in
Alberta and the best time of year.
I got up early to make full use of the day. Winter follows close on
Indian summers heals up here so you don't want to waste a second. I
hurried through my morning chores and saddled up Reid my mare for a
ride. We headed out towards the trails wind whistling through (I would
like to say hair) the holes in my troxel helmet and the sun warm on the
body. Somedays are just meant for riding. Reid moved steady and solid in
her trot. It felt like we were one.Those centered riding lessons are
beginning to pay off:-)
I live along the Saskatchewan river outside of Edmonton and have some of
the nicest trails in Alberta outside my door. We headed off to the bush
trails then dropped down to the river for a drink and a wade along the
shore. Cantered back across the summer fallow and up into the hills.
Said a greeting to the coyote we passed and enjoyed the deer we came
across. It truly is a great day for riding. :-)
Now we are on the homeward stretch , canter through the field along the
ditch and into the alfalfa field the last one before home. Drop the
reins and let Reid gallop. This is our favorite part. No holes to worry
about in this field.
I let my mind daydream off into the day and Reid must of also. Next
thing I know I am body surfing alfalfa . Seems in her daydream she could
buck :-O At least she waited for me.
Our gelding figures if you fall off you want some ride and tie practise.
He runs home and pretends to be tied:-) while you practise running
Happy trails
Paddi