Re: antibotics and colic

Yes, colic can occur during or after administration of antibiotics.  Most are
gas colics from changes in gut flora.  Some horses also just don't tolerate
some antibiotics well, just like some people don't.  Yes, in some cases
probiotics can help.  I generally don't worry about probiotics unless the
antibiotics are for a long time, but some cases need them earlier.  If the
horse gets sick in the first day or two, though, I try to switch drugs if I
can.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)