Re: Panting

In a message dated 98-09-07 22:08:01 EDT, LDRIDERCO@AOL.COM writes:

<< His pulse comes down
 well within the alotted time but he pants. His panting is fast and shallow
and
 I think it may come from his Roadster type trot but I can't get him to take
 deep breaths which would bring him down. >>

Yes, his roadster trot may contribute.  However, panting is primarily an
adaptation to get rid of body heat.  Larger bodied horses like Morgans are
more apt to pant.  If his pulse is dropping easily, I wouldn't be too worried
about the panting, other than to monitor his temperature.  Depending on where
you live, you may or may not get grief from ride vets over it--panting is
pretty common in hot, humid areas, but in other areas ride vets may not be as
used to it.

Heidi Smith, DVM