colic jitters

I hope that all you very experienced ridecampers and endurance riders won't
think I am totally dumb and/or paranoid but I just had my first experience
with a colic last weekend and it scared me to death and now I am looking at
my little mare like she is going to drop dead any minute.  My husband and I
trailered our horses to a wilderness area about two miles from our home and
rode for about 4 hours, then trailered home. I had fed my horse some hay in
the trailer manger going and coming home and about 15 minutes after we got
home (thank god before I turned her back out to pasture) she started
wanting to go down, no kicking at her belly or sweating or anything that
really looked like what I had read about colic but I started walking her
around and she pooped and would walk fine for a few minutes then almost
crumple up.  We called the vet who got there in about 45 minutes, kept
walking her ...when he got there he gave her banamine in the vein and some
other pain killer, then mineral oiled her...she had pooped three or four
times before he got there but was still in a lot of pain.  When he passed
the tube he found an obstruction of hay at the entrance to her stomach...it
went on through and then she was fine.  It's been a week and she is OK, her
gut sounds have been a little quieter than usual but still good.
What I am mainly concerned about, never having experience this before, is
we have a 2-day 50 mile CTR in two weeks and do you think she could do it
all right?  I took her back into the mountains this weekend and rode her
pretty slowly Saturday and Sunday; she ate and drank well and seems to be
fine.  Maybe I'm overreacting but I don't want to hurt her.  Pace for this
CTR should be no faster than 5-6 mph ride time.  Any feedback would really
be appreciated.
Thanks.  Betty in Craig, Colorado