Re: why required weight?

Teddy and all, my apologies---at the time, I wrote hastily in trying to
get out the door and truly did not intend the post to sound as harsh as
(in retrospect) it does.  It was never meant as a personal attack.
That's just not my style.

Let me word it a little better---you and all are always welcome to have
your own opinions and feelings, I don't expect one study to change
everyone's minds overnight.  I realize that it's hard to hear something
totally new that goes against what has always been ASSUMED to be true,
even that goes against surface logic, and just accept it as a total
truth at face value.  That's why I've tried to explain the logic of this
study over and over---because I do realize that at face value, it SEEMS
as though it goes against common knowledge.  BUT---once you read the
accompanying discussions and explanations of energetics that goes alot
with it, believe me, a little light bulb will go on and you'll realize
that what the study says is simply validating what most of the
"old-timers" have been saying for decades.

Teddy, I know you never said that it wasn't, but this is a solid,
well-conducted empirical project, done without any axe to grind or any
profit to be made my me in coming up with one conclusion over another.
I actually started the project expecting weight to be a major factor and
was floored that the statistics came out the way they did---we took a
YEAR re-analyzing everything because we kept thinking there was
something wrong with our math.  So we eventually came up with some
pretty strong results and conclusions, but even *I* don't think one
study (even this one) is the end-all and be-all as far as "weight as a
factor" is concerned, it is ONLY a beginning.  However, the results we
found really were extremely clear-cut that weight is not nearly the
factor many have in the past thought it is.  Yes, extra weight will
affect a horse.  Will it necessarily knock him out of the running?
Nope.  All this study showed was that under certain conditions (ie,
running under sub-anaerobic speeds with horses in good body condition)
that two horses that are in all other ways equal have an equal chance of
winning.

If you want it, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the study---I think
you'll see that it really does make sense, and has some very clear
explanations of how even average endurance riders can improve
performance and/or avoid some fatigue and metabolic problems.

No flames, Teddy.  Honest.

Susan G