Re: Discombubulated (part 2)

>He said that maybe he has EPM! I am terrified.
>The lab work won't come back for a whole week. In the meantime, I am not to
>ride him or anything. Does anyone have any info on EPM? I want to be prepared
>for the worst. I just can't believe that he could be sick. He seems so
healthy
>(and frisky). The vet said that if it is EPM the treatment is very expensive
>and lengthy. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of financial resources. I
>just don't know what I would do. I need some advice. Thank you.

Here are some very useful articles on EPM -- pretty inclusive but the list
is a year old...there may be other sites with updates that have appeared
since I made this list.  If you would like info on my own experiences (a
subject that
I'm far more familiar with than I ever wanted to be!), please email me and
I'll be glad to share what I have gone thru in regards to this disease.
There is also a new book out (one of the Concise Guides, I believe) that is
solely about EPM.

http://www.uky.edu/Agriculture/VetScience/Parasitology/home.htm

http://www.cybersteed.com/cybersteedusers/research/epm/epmtreat.html

http://www.freerein.com/epm/epm.html

http://prevmed.vet.ohio-state.edu/epm/epmhome.html

http://www.thehorse.com/current/epm0497.html

You can order the meds thru Mortar and Pestle -- I got mine thru the
medical center where I work but it was a bit more expensive (employee
discount so 6 months of meds was doable.)  Mortar and Pestle will mix the
meds for you also.  There number is below and the med treatment that was
recommended for us.  We actually went longer and used the higher dosage
(16.3h TB mare).

Mortar and Pestle Pharmacy at: 1-800-279-7054

     Trimethoprim-sulfadiazine, 15 - 25 mg/kg of body weight, orally, every
12 hours for at least 12 weeks.

     Pyrimethamine (Daraprim (tm)), 1.0 mg/kg, orally, every 24 hours for
at least 12 weeks.

     Rest/minimize stress

     Consider vitamin E: 5,000 units, orally every 12 hours.
     Consider treatment with thiamin.

Sue (who hopes that owning a horse with EPM is akin to being struck by
lightning!)

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.