Newbie query: why required weight?

OTOH, what we call "humidity" out here is a lot different from the
humidity you folks get (except for this week, when it's swampy by
anyone's standards).  So heat dissipation may very well be a factor at
some point, though it wasn't at this level of humidity when we looked at
it.  Certainly a larger, heavier mass will be producing more heat and
have a smaller surface area from which to dissipate it.

I'd be delighted to come collect data in the SE, if someone can find me
a big enough ride to get a statitically viable population, and ride
management that will weigh the riders and their tack beforehand.

Susan!!

so tell me...what is enough of a statistically viable population???  100+,
but how much over 100?  and can you use 50 milers and 100 milers or does
it have to be only 100?

we can do the weigh ins..I would volunteer to do that . I would be very
interested in seeing the results and  how they varied if any, from the
Tevis results.

samm