Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

Susan G wrote:

> Teddy, I have to agree with Kathy---it has NOT been shown in any
> research project that weight makes a difference, especially over a long
> distance.  There's only been ONE empirical research study that ever
> looked at weight-carrying ability in endurance horses and that was
> mine.  I've looked at over 600 endurance horses now and the statistics
> are crystal-clear that weight makes NO difference to completion rate,
> finishing time, or in pulled horses, how far they went before they were
> pulled.  If the study weren't published, it would still be just my
> opinion---but it's been dragged over the coals by a whole lot of
> extremely nit-picking researchers that dearly love to find mistakes and
> they all agreed with the conclusions.  WEIGHT IS NOT A FACTOR AT
> SUB-ANAEROBIC SPEEDS.

I have to disagree on both.

There is a study of DVM Chris Pollit (Australia) some 4-5 yrs. ago, on
endurance horses. He compared not the results of rides but the haert rates of
horses with medium weight vs. heavy weight rider. the graphics pointed out
higher working HR of the horse with heavyweight rider. this means the horse
with the heavyweight rider has to do more work compared to the same horse, the
same speed but a lightweight rider.

even if the horse with the higher workload is at higher risk at competition,
this need not result in measurable failure results necessarily, as Susan's
study at Tevis Cup showed. (why ? perhaps because the heavy-weight carrying
horse is *trained* better, to live with this workload).

if you go on a big trip with your horse and add 60 pds. of equipment to the
usual weight of rider and saddle, you will learn the difference quickly. it
will slow you down at least 1/3. although there is a difference between
'living' and 'dead' weight, you can't discuss it away.

...the lines in the "minimum weight" discussion are always very clear:
heavyweights are pro, lightweights contra. it happens that this determined
their view of hard facts. (just joking)

regards
Frank Mechelhoff (Germany)