Horses off the track

I recently posted asking for  any vet's opinion about blocking below the
knee for a swelling at the knee with grade 3 lameness. I want you all to
know That I know it is standard practice if a horse is lame to start at the
bottom and work up but if there is obvious swelling at the knee could there
still be something below the knee that is causing the knee to swell? ie is
it valid to block below the knee? ( by the way this horse was blocked below
the knee and was still lame with block) We haven't xrayed yet we are
waiting a week buteing the horse and keeping it confined to see if there is
any change if not then we will xray..What are your opinions on this plan of
action? I really would apprieciate some responce, thank you.
Mary Anne Maynard