Horses off the track

I have a four year old mare just off the track, had a good solid base
before she went to track ( I know she was YOUNG, but that is how the owner
does it ) my question: is a eight min mile too fast for this mare on nice
easy footing? (she is very fit).  Also a question for all the Vets out
there. If a horse is off say a grade three lameness with mild swelling on
the right leg on the inside of knee.... Would you always start your
blocking at the foot and work up?  And beside a bone chip or supensory tear
at the knee.. what could it be?? that is if you were surmising with out an
exray being taken. Thank you for your input.