Re: energy expended during exercise

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998 18:26:28 +0000, "Beth Glace" <lb@nismat.org> wrote:

>I can't speak about the adequacy of the current mimimum weight
>standards, but I must disagree with Joe regarding energy expended
>when moving:
To all the folks who've posted "corrections" to my energy statements:
read the whole thing, in context.  The point about it requiring no
energy for a moving mass to continue to move *horizontally* was only a
prelude to the far more complex situation of a horse
walking/trotting/cantering over level ground.  It was only intended to
illustrate that it is not so simple a calculation.

There are many factors that affect the energy requirements and
stresses on a horse:  speed, terrain, footing, elevation gain or loss,
grade, weather, weight carried -- and HORSEMANSHIP of the rider!  And
horses of different conformations, sizes, and athletic abilities react
to these variables differently.  There is no simple relationship
between weight carried and energy/stress.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net