Re: Strongid C

Oops having button problems today.

Am always dubious about one subset of horses being singled out over
another subset. I've heard similar statements by Eventers (about
Strongid-C) and show folk but none of them have had any personal
experience of the product, just repeating what they have heard, but
they are no less adamant than you are.

It is difficult to draw conclusions out in the field. Given the large
number of Arabs in the sport one might even draw the conclusion that
Arabs are more prone colic due to Strongid-C (just as another study
concluded that Arabs were more prone to colic than any other breed -
though the data may be skewed due to reporting).

To throw in our experience. After three years on the product we have
had no colics on three fairly fit (middle of the field 50's) horses.
Hal the old TB was anemic and we did take him off Strongid-C just on
the off chance. Soon after the anemia disappeared. We did not conclude
that Strongid-C was to blame however. We were treating for
Hypothyroidism at the same time - a known cause of anemia. The
hypothyroidism was cured the same time the anemia was.

It would be interesting though, if more vets like Heidi who have a bad
feeling, did report them throught the correct channels.

---CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-09-03 12:31:28 EDT, dowling@skyway.usask.ca
writes:

> << I think clinical observations are valuable, but I also think this
subject
> needs a little more discussion before
>  dismissing a good product and a valuable program for horse owners.
I have
> practiced in Texas, Ohio, North
>  Carolina and Alabama, before coming to Canada to teach
pharmacology. I have
> had great success with Strongid
>  C. >>
>
> I have stated over and over again that I do NOT dismiss this
product, and in
> fact, use it successfully in other horses in my practice.  It is
ONLY in
> endurance horses that I have encountered problems, and ONLY in
endurance
> horses that I do not recommend its use. Most endurance horses are
managed in
> such a way that parasites should not be a major issue anyway, so in my
> opinion, this product is not indicated for our endurance horses in
the first
> place.
>
> Heidi Smith, DVM

==