Re: Newbie query: why required weight?

Either way if the heavy weights ride the whole way or if the rider runs part of
the way it takes more effort from the "team" and the extra work has to take it's
toll. If the rider is more tired because of the extra effort of running versus
riding, it will be transmitted to the horse even while riding. In other words
extra weight is a definity a disadvantage.As a heavyweight I have ridden my wife's
endurance horse in rides ( she is a lite weight) and it is hard on the mare beause
she is not conditioned for the extra weight, on the other hand when my wife rides
my gelding he does not seem to that he is even carrying a rider.

No matter how you look at it the weight is a big factor.If you wish to test this
theory go for a run , add 20 pounds run the same distance , add 40 pounds and do
it again.Then tell us that weight is not a disadvantage.

Jerald