Arthritic Knees / Oral joint lubes

While results of pending studies have not yet been published,
it's true that there are many anectdotal praises of orally
supplied "joint lubes"... and not just in horses.  They cost
about $1 per day maint to feed.

The anectotal evidence is quite large.  I moved Magnum to a
new ranch last winter.  He's surrounded by off-the-track TB's
who make their living doing 3 day eventing and giving lessons.
After I got to know Magnum's best friend and his owner, I
suggested to her that her horse might benefit from an oral joint
lube.  He has bad knees and would take 10 to 20 minutes of walking
to come sound at a trot.  Rather stiff.  This horse is about 12.
She put him on it and within 2 weeks her trainer showed up to ask
what the heck she started feeding?  He's now much bouncier, happier,
livelier, better, sounder, looser, etc.  He's now sound right off
the bat, although a 10 minute walk warm up and 20 minute walk warm
down / mental rest are the norm.

The next thing I know everyone is asking for the name of "That stuff".
We are banding together to buy in bulk.  Every horse on it has shown
improvement.  Another Appy cross mare who was not lame, but starting
to be a bit stiff in the knees also got some.  3 feeding later and no
more stiff knees... which is faster than normal.

My first experience with joint-lubes was with Rascal who also had
arthritic knees.  He was very lame one fall.  He got a flexion test.
He then got 1 IV injection of Legend and then maint doses of Flex-Free
every day.  He was sound within a week.  He was leased to kids for
lessons and trail rides.  He was sound until the day he died.  It
was amazing and sold me.

Magnum would be a lot more sore without his Sure-Flex and Adequan
I think.  As it is he's acting like 17.5 going on 4 and he's a
happy guy.  I would highly recommend starting an oral joint lube
for the arthritic 18 year old mare.  It's easy to get, not as
expensive as injectables and you don't have to mess with needles.
If you want to run an initial course of Legend IV or Adequan then
all the better.  But oral CS and/or GAGS might work all by themselves.
I would not be concerned about the lack of publications to date.
Testing takes time.  The publications are coming.  Try it, you might
be pleasantly surprised.

Also, MSM has a synergistic anti-inflamitory affect.  I feed it too
as long as Magnum is not being entered in a competition.  Please
feel free to write privately if you have any questions.

:) - Kat Myers
kathy@nvolve.com
in San Mateo, CA with Magnum the TB ex-racer
and Mr Maajistic ... resident endurance Arab