Re: Advice wanted for foal

I had a colt that we had to put his mother down when he was two months old.  I
realize that it is not the same problem with feeding him every two hours that
Kathy is having but as far as having him disciplined I was very lucky to have a
maiden mare that was pregnant at the time and  she more or less adopted the
colt.  The colt was in a pin directly next to the mare, I brought the colt up
to the barn every night and with in a week or two the mare was going nuts when
I took him up.  I decided to put the two together and it worked out great.  The
colt was gelded at six months and I turned him out with the other horses in the
spring in a fifty acre pasture.  I never had the problems of a colt that
imprinted too much with humans.  Just a thought I hope all works out well with
your little one.

Corky Young
Byrds Valley Ranch, On The Tevis Trail