RE: adding rider weight

I made weight bags for a feather weight friend. She needed almost 40 lbs
more weight to make 165 lb. I basicly made four tubular shaped pouches out
of heavy cordura fabric. I put 3 dee rings on each pouch with 1 inch nylon
webbing sewn into the seams at the two ends and midway down the length. I
left one end of the pouch open then put lead shot into a 1 gallon heavy
grade ziplock bag, roll the shot/bag into a tube (removing air from bag as
much as possible) then work plastic bag into the pouch.  You can then finish
stuffing the pouch with cotton or quilt batting so the shot doesn't move
around in the pouch.  I sewed the end shut, placing the last dee ring into
the seam. All seams were double stitched with heavy thread. We had
determined how many pounds of shot she had to carry then divided it between
the four bags. They were attached to the saddle, two in front, two behind,
so that they were tight in against the pommel and cantle and were up on the
saddle tight, not flopping on the saddle pad. We did learn that most types
of strings will stretch out and let the bags start flopping. Would suggest
using nylon web straps that won't stretch. After all the weight was on the
saddle the short (midgit?) feather weight rider couldn't get the saddle on
the 15.3 hand horse alone! Then the weather was so hot that after hauling
all the way to NJ for the ride she opted not to compete! Oh, well. Now have
more ideas for improved weight pouches. If you only need to add 10-15 lbs it
would be pretty easy.

Bonnie Snodgrass