Re: Unidentified subject!

In a message dated 98-09-01 17:46:43 EDT, foster@unbc.ca writes:

<< I have been asked by a friend of mine to ask all of you what you would do
 help a young eighteen year old mare that has arthritis in a front knee. >>

I would recommend feeding MSM and/or a product containing chondroitin sulfate.
If the mare is just being used as a kid's horse and not going into any
competitions where drug testing is an issue, try a supplement that contains
both chondroitin sulfate and yucca--yucca contains aspirin-like
antiinflamatory substances in their natural form.  Also, for light non-
competition riding, it wouldn't hurt her to have an occasional dose of Bute to
help her through a bad day.  Check her selenium level, too--selenium is very
much involved in calcium metabolism and would help if she is deficient.
Vitamin E is also helpful in arthritis, as is Vitamin C--both are antioxidants
and help to scavenge the free radicals produced by inflamation.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)