Re: Urine content

In a message dated 98-09-01 13:09:25 EDT, clb@micron.net writes:

<< I just notice that our 9 years ago geldings urine is leaving a white
 coloration on the stall dirt after drying.  The horse has been on
 pasture/ with grass hay with a small amount of oats and bran all
 summer.  >>

If he were on any alfalfa, I would suspect calcium carbonate in his urine--and
it may still be that, even on grass and grass hay.  Horses have very alkaline
urine, and any extra calcium tends to crystalize out as calcium carbonate,
with no harm done.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)