Artificial light/deter winter coat

Somewhere I read that using artificial light in the horse's stall will deter
their winter coat from coming in while it's still so hot.  I live in Texas.
My horse has already started getting his winter coat (end of August) (he's
always bushier than all the other horses in the barn).  I have asked the barn
owner if I can place a timer and light in his stall, stating that I had read
this someplace.  Now I can't back up my claim because I can't find the
article.  Can anyone help me out?  Has anyone out there used lights to deter
the winter coat growth?  Any response will help.  Thanks.  Kaaren