Re: Endurance & Racing (track)

>I thought that there was a maximum age after which a "maiden" racehorse
>couldn't race at the track...?  Is this wrong?
>
>Susan G

A maiden is just a horse that has not won a race, it does not have anything
to do with age.  (that I am aware of)

I say go for it Lauren.  Get some works on you mare and see if the trainer
feels she has potential.  I have started horses for the track (from our
ranch only) and always put a good trail horse base on them before they ever
see speed.  If you mare has a good mind she should be able to go from trail
to track without any problem.
I have also take an ex racehorse an endurance ride 6 weeks after coming off
the track and he was fine.  We have sold several retired racehorses for
endurance and they love it.

There is a good book out called the Backyard Racehorse that helps if you
want to do your own conditioning for the track and explains all the racing
terms etc.
dee
Dee Van Gilder
Van Gilder Arabians
Wasco, Oregon

vgarab@transport.com

www.endurance.net/vangilder/

Home of CMK Stallions Nehalems Muhuli (Muhuli x Rafanna)FV Stoic(Farlane x
Muferrra)
 & Mackies Image (Abu Malacar x Bayetta) and  the polish stallion, Going
Steady AH (Wiking x *Goinina) and their CMK band of mares!!