Re: Slippery Training Rides

Susan Swope-Attardi wrote:

> I just switched to St. Croix eventers.    Say, how do they
> wear?  Can you estimate how long you get out of a pair?  I do about 5-8
> miles a week on pavement out of necessity in getting to other training
> areas.

I'm using the St. Croix eventers with side clips on 2 horses with probably 15-20
miles per week on pavement or rocks before we hit the nice clay roads.  We're
getting a reset out of them as long as you don't mind the toes being so thin
that you could shave with them when they finally are "retired"!

They are a bit thicker than the shoes were using previously, thus a bit
heavier.  The extra weight was just enough to take one gelding over the edge
into nicking himself on the cannon bone in front.  We just had to pay a little
extra attention to his foot's balance + I think he got used to them.  No more
problems after that first time.  (Of course this happens 2 weeks before a major
ride for us!  NEVER change anything before a ride!!!!!!!  I keep telling myself
that!)

Hey - guess what you can do with all those old shoes (assuming you're tired of
folk art and have made all the lawn furniture you need) - Sell them at a
non-horsie auction.  I went to an estate sale recently where horse shoes "which
were used on REAL horses" sold for $6 a piece!  (?As opposed to "fake" horses?)
I should have brought that 5 gal bucket full of old shoes from the barn.  I
could have sold them at a BARGAIN of $5 each!

Linda Flemmer