Re: keeping the weight on

>That can be a tough age for an Arab stallion, especially with the move.  Since
>his teeth are ok (although it might be worth a second peek), I don't think I
>would get in a big toot about it this year.  He is like a boy going to
>college, staying up late and trying to impress the girls; that's a normal
>mental state for that age, and it can be tough on them.  See how he winters
>over, and he may be just fine next year.
>
>Heidi

About the only other thing I would consider would be some very stubborn
worms, or a tapeworm.  Last year we had a gelding here that was nervous and
thin.  Teeth were floated, he got several treatments with Zimecterin -- and
I was pumping in enough food, including a complete feed with probiotics in
addition to oat and alfalfa hay free feed, to keep a lactating mare fat!
Still stayed skinny.  Finally I decided to try a double dose of Strongid
(my vet said I could have even done a triple dose).  Bingo!  Within days he
was noticably more relaxed, and his condition started to bloom.  Within two
months he looked like a different horse and was able to maintain his weight
on the straight hay diet the rest of the light work geldings were on.
Don't know if he really *did* have a tapeworm, but treatment for one did
the trick.

-- Lynn K. (Santa Ynez, CA)
   http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky