Keeping weight on

Stephanie,
     I have been feeding my horse alfalfa hay and pellets (for my old
lady who
has few teeth left) since my older mare had colic surgery.  My trainer
feeds
nothing but alfalfa and she knows more than anyone I've met.  However, I

used to give my horses a handful of bran until my trainer advised me
that you
need to balance the calcium in the alfalfa with sufficient magnesium
which means
increasing the bran.  I now give my horses a full 1 lb. coffee can of
wheat bran
with each feeding and they are utilizing their food better.
     Dr. Heidi is absolutely correct about teeth.  This, along with the
balanced
nutrition  is a very do-able thing to check and can make all the
difference in the
world.  If you are lucky enough to have a vet who can actually do dental
work
besides just floating the teeth, please take advantage.  If not, try to
get an actual
equine dentist to work on your horses.  It may be something as small as
a mis-
alignment caused by poor dental condition.  Also, a good indication of
your
horse's digestive efficiency is the condition of his manure.  If it
shows hay
on the surface, he is probably not chewing properly and therefore not
digesting his food well enough.
     I have some other thoughts which involve supplements but I would
rather speak privately with you to avoid advertising on Ridecamp.
Please
E-mail me if you want to talk some more.
                                                                 Linda
(AVP)