Re: Fw: Gelding's Nose

Janet, in a pinch until the real muzzle arrives, what about cutting off
the ends of a large bleach bottle or plastic milk jug, or maybe even the
bottom of a small bucket, punch holes so as to attach it to a halter and
pad the edges well with a bunch of duct tape to make a temporary
muzzle?  We did something like this at Cal Poly to rig together
gas-collection muzzles for horses running on the treadmill (so we can
measure oxygen consumption, etc).  It's worked pretty well and dirt
cheap.  We also used some foam rubber at the edges for more padding and
a snugger fit.  If you can't find some plastic around the house that's
the right size, I'll bet Tupperware has gotta have SOMETHING that you
can chop up to fit.  Since you just need to keep him from rubbing his
nose, you wouldn't have to have a completely closed muzzle, just sort of
an open tube that covered the parts smeared with Swat.

Of course, since you need to leave a halter on, make sure if the halter
gets seriously snagged on something and your horse pulls back, it'll be
the halter that breaks, not the horse.

Hope this helps, best of luck.

Susan G