re: Palpatating Sore back

Hi y'all,

I'm back from Maui (wowie!)...got to swim with Sea Turtles and
stuff...it was wonderful (but not endurance related!), so here goes.

Mystery had a really, really sore back at the end of 1997.  Lots of
work, saddle refits, rest, awareness, etc and he is 100% again.  BUT, it
took a long time to learn when he was really sore or not during the
process.  Just approaching his back he would wince and crouch (making me
feel smaller than small....).  Lots of light strokes, touching, and
de-sensitizing him to my touch paid off so I can get a true indication.

Vet (Sandy Schular) said his back would still be sore as I built his
muscles up and started riding him again..this proved to be true.  I have
to determine what was acceptable, just like when we humans start working
out after a lay-off, we are sore too....

Also, Katja gave us a nice demonstration from her equine massage class
and showed us 3 points on each side of the spine which are saddle
contact points.  Just touching these points reveals if there is soreness
from the saddle or not.  The muscles automatically tighten up or the
horse shrinks if there is pain.   I'm not good at descriptions, but
there are books out there on equine massage (at many tack stores) that
go over these points.  I can now go to any horse and check their backs
in a matter of seconds...a great tool...but can someone else explain
it?  (Karen Sullivan, Linda Romander...I know you are lurking out

Happy riding to all!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab)
Pt.Reyes, CA