Re: [Fwd: Trails Symposium]

If you look at almost ANY recreational website, brochure, etc...you will see
mention of just about everything EXCEPT horses and horseback riding.

We are, like smokers, tenth class citizens and backyard hillbillies and
really NOT wanted...or, at least that is the impression I invariably get.

YES, we have an economic impact..far more than most realize...yet, we have
little or NO influence or control over what matters to us most: a place to
ride!!!

Teddy

Copy of my letter to the US Forest Service here locally...send to DOZENS of
others.  Those interested in the response...I will gladly send it to you if
you e-mail me.

RUNNING BEAR FARM, INC.
1348 Township Rd. #256
Kitts Hill, OHio, USA 45645
740-533-0154, 1-800-533-BEAR, FAX: 740-533-0337
E-mail: Teddy@runningbear.com

August 18, 1998

Wayne National Forest

I responding to your request for input on your newly implemented user fee
program in the Wayne National Forests.

First, I want to let you know I have lived in the Ironton district and my
land abuts Wayne National Forest.  I bought this farm specifically because I
have trail horses and need to ride close to home without having to trailer
somewhere to ride.

When I bought this farm in 1989, we were allowed to ride just about
anywhere.  Friends and I spent many hours clearing trails and keeping them
clear.  It was OUR labor and OUR joy and pride in helping to maintain them
for all of us.

Then we were informed that there would now be a designated trail system.
Not too much of a problem since the designated trail was chiefly where we
all rode anyway.

I organized a few endurance rides using these trails. I was led to believe
by the local forestry office that more usage would bring more funding for
better maintenance so WE would not longer have to clear trails.  So, I
helped to increase usage.  What happened?  We were told that all we needed
to do was call and let the forestry office know if a tree was down or a
trail became impassable and THEY would take care of it.  Sounded great,

BUT, to this day, the trails are barely maintained.  A telephone call
solicits a response, but little or no action.

THEN, we were all informed that the trails would be CLOSED from December
15th to April 15th to prevent erosion from overuse during the wetter
season.  Now, here this!!!!  NOT ALL OF THE MORE THAN 30 MILES OF TRAIL ARE
SUBJECT TO SUCH EROSION!!!! Let me tell you, most of us are responsible
trail riders.  Our horses come first and even WE don't want to ride through
mud and bogs.  We avoid those sections of trail when they are bad.  We even
suggested ways around these bad ares.  Better planing would make the trails
usable to more riders all year long.  SOME of us LIKE to ride from December
15th to April 15th.

Then the real blow was getting a letter from your office this spring stating
the implementation of user fees!!!  After more than six months, still
NOTHING has been done to maintain our trails.  Yet, your website says that
80% of this money is to go back towards trail maintenance.  I see NOTHING!!!

I have NOT paid a user fee and will NOT do so until you have something to
offer.

On top of that, NO WHERE is there posted...at ANY trailhead or otherwise,
that there is a user fee to be paid.  In fact, you sent me a letter stating
where I could buy one.  Now, if a friend stops by and we decide to ride,
that friend has to drive 10-15 miles, show a drivers license and pay a fee.
DUMB!!!! What if this person is a minor?  What if this person does not
drive?  What about the inconvenience?  What about the person who rode here
years ago from out of town who decides to ride here, pulls their rig into a
trailhead to ride and gets caught without a permit?

WHY  ARE THESE NOT TRANSFERABLE?  I would like to be able to buy 2 or 3
yearly permits for myself, my family and/or an occasional friend.

On top of all of this, NO ONE is patrolling the trails.  I see NO ONE out
there issuing citations or warnings.  I see NOTHING posted ANYWHERE. So, I
say to you..." CATCH ME IF YOU CAN".  I will NOT pay for something I am not
getting and did not already have.

As long as you IGNORE the needs of horsepeople...have NOTHING on your
website regarding horseback riding and do not listen to OUR needs, you do
NOT need our money.  Go harass the ATV people like you have been, they can
afford it.

While I am at it, I am attaching page from the South Carolina Trails
Seminar.  Is Wayne National Forest a participant?  I assure you, trail
riders in vast numbers representing MAJOR equine trail user groups WILL be
in attendance.  We care, even if you do not.

Sincerely,

Teddy Lancaster