Gelding's Nose

Hello everyone,
Thanks so much for responding to my two other posts.  Have a real problem
here.  The gelding that freaked when I took him out alone (Dar) and dumped
me scraped his nose upon trying to exit the horse trailer.  This was
approximately 3-4 weeks ago.  This deep scrape has now turned into a blood
mess with flies covering it when he wipes the Swipe off and the Panalog.
Have tried a lot of different things.  Our new vet Darla has come out twice.
He's a real goofball in that he likes banging his nose against everything.
He's a big loveable goofball but he has gouged quite a hole in his nose
above the nostril on left side just over the curl in the nostril going
toward the eye.  I have had him on 1/2 gm of Bute twice a day for a week,
Panalog cream off and on (was trying something else too), washed out with
diluted iodine or Betadine, slathered with Swipe (fly deterrent with some
antiseptic(?) properties and now on 30 gm of Penicillin, 15cc in am and same
in pm.  He is rubbing it all the time.  I see blood everything, feeder that
has now been taken out so he can't rub on those, water bucket, pipe corrals
and most of all, the mare with him.  Got any suggestions?  I'm at my wit's
end on this one.  Thanks for your suggestions.
Janet Baca