Scardy cat horse? H-m-m-m

I just want to offer an opinion on part of your situation.  I would treat the
buddy problem at home like barn sourness.  My mare would get just so far from
the barn and "quit" on me or try to fly back to the barn.  I would tell her,
"ok, you can go back to the barn."  When we got back she would get worked in
the arena.  (She hated the arena work.)  When she settled down we would go
down the road again.  If she acted up we would  go back to the barn and work.
Then we would go down the road again.

The mare was a smart horse.  She figured it out pretty fast that it wasn't
worth going back to the barn.

It seems to me your horse could be convinced it wouldn't be worth going back
to his buddies if it means extra work.

Granted, these sessions are time consuming and you might not get a lot of
miles down the road on a particular day, but it can work.

I have no opinion about the buddy  problem at a ride other than if he learned
to do without them at home he can survive without them at a ride.

Ellen
Memphis