Opinion? Scardy Cat Endurance Horse

Ok, could I please have your opinions...

I have a horse that loves being with his buddies or just plain ol' other
horses.  When he is out just with me..... he goofs around with the bit, trots
skewed slightly sideways....doesn't look forward... and then OH!, there's a
monster.  His main thought, it seems, is to just get back home to his buddies.
When he senses other horses nearby... he'll whiny out to them.

At the last ride, when his buddy was there, his pulse would increase at the
VCs if his buddy walked away from him.... which turned me into a screaming
#$%^ @# at my husband who rides the buddy horse.  It also got me pissed at my
horse for being such a @#$%^ baby!

So, my question is:  would you keep a horse for endurance who was so herd
bound and such a scardy cat by himself on the trails?  By the way, this horse
finished 11th and 9th in his first two 50s.  We were always with other horses.

Signed..... wondering if there is a perfect endurance horse out there.... and
if not, do those of you who flip through horses, sell them at a loss and go on
to the next prospect.

Melody - frustrated .... and its not even near PMS time.